Oily skin can be quite difficult to deal with sometimes. The accumulation of excess oil on the outer skin layer often leads to whiteheads, blackheads, and other skin irritations. However, oily skins are not entirely undesirable; they do have some benefits.
Oily skin tends to age better and wrinkle less than dry skin due to the excessive production of oil. The first step to caring for oily skin is good hygiene. So, it is important to avoid touching your face with dirty hands.
To prevent and care for oily face you will need to:
• Wash your face twice daily (morning and night) with warm water and a mild soap for oily skin to open the pores and remove sebum without irritating the skin. Then rinse with cold water to close pores to keep oil from clogging.
• Get a good facial cleanser for oily face that contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide and use day and night.
• You should always wash off or wipe off your makeup with facial wipes before going to bed. This is because if you forget to wash off your makeup at night, this may result in oily skin and pimples.
• Ensure to use products that are specific for oily skin especially foundation, powder and other things you apply on your face. Also, avoid using excess makeup.
• It is advisable to change your pillow case regularly; your hair passes a lot of oil to your pillow case which your face ends up absorbing.
• It will be ideal to steam your face twice a week to help open your pores. To do this, pour some hot water into a large bowl and put your face over the steam. This reduces the secretion of oil.
• If necessary remove oiliness during the day with medicated pads with salicylic acid or glycolic acid. You could also try some home-made facial masks for oily skin such as papaya, tomatoes, egg yolk amongst others.