How many of you love watermelon? Well, I do precisely because it’s an enjoyable way to keep you hydrated in the heat. It’s also very refreshing especially when it’s ripe, sweet and juicy.
However, the major challenge for many people is how to select/pick up a whole watermelon that is sweet and juicy as there is nothing worse than cutting a whole watermelon and finding out it’s not only bland but dry as well.
Although it can be difficult to know how ripe the interior of watermelon is just by evaluating the outside, however, there are some tricks to help you pick the perfect watermelon – one that is very sweet and juicy
- You should check for dents, scratches or bruises on the surface of the watermelon. So, look out for one with a perfect skin. Also, ensure that the watermelon is symmetrical/regular. Irregular shapes and bumps naturally indicates that the watermelon received inconsistent amounts of sunshine and water.
- The colour and appearance of watermelons are also important to evaluate. The colour of the rind/skin of the perfectly ripe and sweet watermelon should be dark green in colour and dull looking. If it’s shiny, it’s not ripe yet. Also, the field spot (yellow splotch on the underside of a watermelon) should be creamy yellow colour. Know that the darker the yellow, the sweeter the watermelon will be.
- For a sweeter and riper watermelon, there should be a small crater, indicating that the watermelon fell off the vine on its own. But if there is a stem, it was plucked off too early.
- Tap the underbelly of the watermelon and listen to the sound it makes. Make sure to note the firmness of the watermelon when you tap/knock on it. The surface should be hard and firm. A ripe watermelon should have a full, deep, and hollow sound. While an under-ripe over-ripe melon will make a more dull sound.
- You should pick up the heaviest watermelon in the bunch. So, regardless of how big or small the watermelon is, a ripe watermelon should be heavy for its size. This indicates that it is full of water, which means that it is ripe and super juicy.