You might not have worked from home for such an extended period until the coronavirus outbreak. But it did cause a lot of stir in your lives, and you had no choice but to stay put.
So imagine how freelancers and permanent work-from-home employees pull up the show and yet manage the work-life balance.
According to recent surveys, more than 50% of those with a desk job suffer from severe back pain. Irrespective of you being at home or an office, there are chances you’ll be dealing with back pain. A majority of people complain of not having the correct sitting posture while they are working. At an office, you still find ergonomic chairs that give you proper back support and stability. However, at home, many people can’t spend as much on purchasing an ergonomic chair.
Do you know what can be the consequence of not having a correct posture?
If you do not have the correct posture, you can experience pain in your lower back, neck, shoulder, and hips. Ergonomics is a term used for the scientific study and discipline that focuses on human well-being. The physical aspects of the environment have an impact on human life and well-being.
Offices primarily work on the ergonomics of their premises to ensure the well being of their employees. But when the external environment is not balanced according to the ergonomic discipline, it creates physical problems that can have severe consequences. You can end up suffering from the following problems:
- Chronic lower back pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and many other disabilities
Your body has a musculoskeletal system that is responsible for your body posture. With poor sitting posture, you can have musculoskeletal disorders that can result in a decrease in your productivity and capabilities.
Why must you have an ergonomic chair at home?
If you are working from home or are a freelancer who travels back and forth, you must pay attention to your health. You end up sitting for hours in your bed or on a chair that isn’t comfortable enough.
An ergonomic chair will have multiple functions that allow you to adjust your posture according to your comfort level. Below are the features of ergonomic chairs that make them the best option for prolonged sitting
- You can adjust the height of your seat according to your level of comfort. The feet should fall flat on the floor; only then it is an ideal position to work. If your feet are left hanging, it will cause strain and swelling.
- It has an adjustable armrest that gives you the flexibility to change its height according to the height of your desk.
- Having the correct seat width and depth to support your lower body is extremely important. Your hips and thigh should not go out of the seat; only then, you’ll have a correct posture.
- It has a seat tilt that allows you to have a relaxed and comfortable posture. Most people experience over-exaggeration in the pelvic region due to prolonged and uncomfortable sittings. With an ergonomic chair, there is no such problem because you can adjust its back pressure and tilt.
Before buying a chair, carefully observe all the features and consider setting a budget you are willing to spend. Your health is more important than your money. So, make a sensible investment by purchasing a decent chair that gives you 100% support and comfort.